Thailand (was Re: [thechat] "Eight Miles High" (was Re: Gotta newMac - now what?))

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Dec 10 10:30:56 CST 2003

Martin Burns noted:

>>   Has "democracy" been ingrained so deeply in America that they can't
>> comprehend any other system of government? I mean, surely it was
>> reasonably obvious that any kind of mocking portrayal of a ruling
>> monarch is going to be trouble?

>And perhaps more tellingly, there seems to be a problem comprehending
>any other *form* of 'democracy' than that practised in the US (ie the
>government pretends that it's run by its people (demos), rather than by
>its corporations).

Oh, I dunno ... there are a few of us over here who have jobs, families,
and outside interests ... so I think we have some inkling that other
forms of non-democratic 'organisation' exist!  ;-)

RonL.
(Who _really_ hopes y'all aren't suggesting that reality shows are
'educational' because of their promulgation of 'tribal councils'!)