[thechat] Dishwater cooking

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Thu Jan 22 14:09:24 CST 2004

Madhu Menon wrote on 23/01/2004 1:05 AM +0530:
> http://www.wisinfo.com/thereporter/news/archive/com_12065674.shtml

A few years ago, a large gas plant here in Victoria suffered an explosion
(a bad one; some people were killed), and as a result, good chunks of the
state were totally without natural gas for several weeks.

I'd say it's probably about half-and-half in Australia (well... capital
cities, anyway) between people who have gas hot water or electric, and
between people who have gas cooking or electric. As a result, therefore,
a lot of people had to have icy-cold showers, and go without cooking.

There was quite a bit of news coverage about enterprising souls who couldn't
cook in their ovens cooking things in the dishwasher (which is electrically
heated, obviously). Don't know anyone who did it seriously (my sister did
as a bit of a joke), but there were recipes in the newspapers, so they must
have thought that SOME people were doing it.

Paul.