[thechat] PC buying: graphics cards?

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Sun Feb 1 21:08:26 CST 2004

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying a home PC, nothing too extravagant, just a
workhorse to get the job done. While I'm an "IT guy", it's been so long
since I've bought a PC that I'm not really au fait with a lot of things,
particularly graphics cards.

Motherboards and CPUs and memory I got myself up to speed on pretty
quickly, but graphics cards leave me stumped.

Bear in mind that I'm not a big games player, but I would like something
that will last me a few years in comfort. I don't play any FPS games or
anything like that, but I might dabble in something like SimCity or
whatever -- so I need something OK, but nothing that needs to pump out
60fps of full motion polygon-city.

What I'd love is either:

a) A good site which explains simply and clearly the difference between the
various chipsets that seem to be in most third-party cards -- the different
nVidia/ATI chips that are everywhere now. I can't find much that seems very
impartial.

or, even better:

b) one of you who knows exactly what you're talking about telling me
whether I should go for a 9200se-based card, or a FX5200-based one: the few
comparisons I've found suggest the 5200 might be a better bet, but I'd love
someone with experience to tell me if that's what would be best (assuming
roughly equivalent price), or if there's something else near that low-end
price point I should be looking at. As far as individual manufacturers go,
do any have a better reputation? Leadtek? Gigabyte? etc.

Thanks in advance, folks,

Paul