[thechat] PC buying: graphics cards?

Lachlan Cannon lach at illuminosity.net
Mon Feb 2 03:00:39 CST 2004

http://anandtech.com/

> or, even better:
>
> b) one of you who knows exactly what you're talking about telling me
> whether I should go for a 9200se-based card, or a FX5200-based one: the
> few comparisons I've found suggest the 5200 might be a better bet, but
> I'd love someone with experience to tell me if that's what would be best
> (assuming roughly equivalent price), or if there's something else near
> that low-end price point I should be looking at. As far as individual
> manufacturers go, do any have a better reputation? Leadtek? Gigabyte? etc.

Well, quite frankly they're both shit. Depending on how long you want it
to last, and how much you can spend, I'd recommend either a Radeon 9600
Pro (best price performance), or a GeForce 4 Ti4200 (can be found pretty
damn cheap). IMO, these two cards are the best prices you'll get with a
bit of forwards-compatibility built in.

Then again, I am a bit of a gamer.. it just depends how much you expect
to play. Personally I refuse to buy nvidia because of the GeForce 4 MX
debacle (calling rebadged Geforce 2's GeForce 4 MX's to sell them cheap
to unsuspecting people who think they'll be buying a fairly decent card).
--
Lach
http://illuminosity.net/