[thechat] Dead Monkey

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Feb 17 18:41:37 CST 2004

If you haven't heard, well...

<http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62300,00.html>

I haven't been around on thelist long enough to be au fait with all the
history, but given that (as I understand it) WebMonkey was the source of
the original MonkeyJunkies mailing list which later splintered to become
thelist, this is probably a fairly noteworthy happening.

Have to admit, I was never a massive fan of WebMonkey anyway, at least
after it stopped being 'how do I do <cool and useful thing x>?' and became
'how do I do <annoying unusable slow-downloading thing y>' and got full of
its own self-importance -- and the fact that I can even remember the former
means I'm certainly showing my age -- but I still certainly got some use
out of that site back in the day...

I wonder if the archives are going to go offline? Maybe the 'old skool'
evolters can claim their articles back -- Lycos might be willing to hand
them over to evolt for posterity's sake (or, indeed, might not be. or evolt
mightn't want them. but... whatever).

Paul.