[thechat] Anybody here?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 07:07:33 CST 2004

At 10:22 on Saturday, 03 Apr 2004, Erik Mattheis wrote:

> I'm curious: Is anybody here at this time intending to vote for Bush in
> Nov? How about non-US people? Anybody a supporter?

Non-US.

> Why is politics spoken of so rarely on the chat?

Us Brits were brought up to "never discuss sex, politics or religion" in
polite company.

I think it's safe to say that any views held on any of those topics are
bound to cause offence simply on the basis of viewpoint. My views are
framed by my environment, my life experience and tailored according to who
I'm talking with.

In the past when we've discussed political matters here I've discovered
some interesting and painful truths.

It's incredibly hard work to debate local politics with a global
community, and US Politics are local, despite the global ramifications.

Since America declared that "you're either with us or against us" I think
it has become even harder to discuss.

My guess is that since I, and many others I presume, like to think this is
a friendly place, and that political discussion pretty soon makes it ugly,
we don't talk about it much......