[thechat] WAS Anybody here NOW: guitar ka-ka

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Apr 7 16:18:14 CDT 2004

Morgan Kelsey sustained:

>>Uh-oh, now here's something I actually *know* about!!!

<humble grasshopper bows />

>>To find the scale that goes with a 7th chord:
>>(you're gonna love this, mr. math-major)
>>1. Find a piano, or draw one if you have to.

Ah! Already downloaded a tiny little (24k) "PlayByEarPiano" that I think
I saw on iBreatheMusic.com.  Hmmmm ... may have to dig out that $20
casio keyboard I bought at a garage sale 10 years ago - now where did I
put that thing?

>>2. Play the 7th chord with your left hand.
>>3. Play the same chord type up a whole step with the right hand.
>>i.e.:
>>C7 = C E G Bb
>>put a D7 on top:
>>D7 = D F# A C

>>put em both together:
>>C D E F# G A Bb C
>>wadda ya know, G melodic minor from C to C.

<snipped more great stuff!>

Ah! Coolio!  This is exactly the kind of stuff I need to work on!
The fingers don't do too bad a job ... but that space between the
ears has definitely been slacking off!

I'm sure I'll be back to 'themusic' with more questions!!

;-)

>>so, see how it easy it is? you just switch scales for every chord,
>>and -- oh yeah! -- don't forget to make a nice melody
>>with a unique and interesting rhythm while you're at it!

Can you just dive in anywhere? Or are there 'preferred' jump points
for chord changes? I mean should the last note you play during the
current chord be a perfect sixth up/down/sideways from the root of
the 'after the change' chord to 'resolve' nicely or something?

[Yeah, yeah - I know ... PTFF ... "Play The ___ Fretboard" and see
what 'works'!  Oh well, at least my madness will be a little more
methodic ... if not yet quite melodic! ... Verily 'tis quite a tonic

... uh, I'll stop now - You're all quite welcome.]

RonL.
(Who's now gonna take about 95 minutes to play "twinkle twinkle" cuz
he'll have to THINK about the blankety-blank relationships between
the blankety-blank notes ... Will little d-sharp will come out her
coma? Will she know her daddy's perfect third is really an inverted
root?  And what about her brother and his diminished future? Will the
couplets survive? ...)