[thechat] WAS Anybody here NOW: guitar ka-ka

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 03:45:25 CDT 2004

On 7 Apr 2004, at 19:51, Morgan Kelsey wrote:

>> (Speaking of which ... any good sites / suggestions for learning that
> <snooty
>> musician snob tone> "well we've got a basic I-VI-ii-V change coming
>> up, so
>> obviously we'll improvise using a melodic minor hexa-dexatrim" </snob>
> kinda
>> stuff?)
>
> Uh-oh, now here's something I actually *know* about!!!

heh, me too.

Useful to know real harmony basics (which you surely already get, Ron),
for major keys only (minor keys are a wee bitty different):
The main chords are I, IV and V, which in E are E, A and B.

V tends to want to go to I - this makes a really final sounding ending
(called a Perfect Cadence); doubly so if you add the 7th, so V7 is B7.
That A natural is fighting to resolve down to the G# of the E, while
your D# will kill to go up to the E.

Both IV and I have secondary chords that you can substitute, each 2
notes below. So the substitute for I is VI, and the substitute for IV
is ii (no, I have nfi why ii is written lower case. It Just Is).

With that perfect cadence above, you'd often lead up to it with a IV,
so an extended perfect cadence would be IV V I. Substituting ii, you'd
go ii V I. To help people's ear along, making it sound more like a
normal IV V I with added richness, you'd stick the 3rd of your IV chord
as the base note - the 1st inversion of the chord, notated as iib. So
again, in E, this would be F#m/A, B7, E.

To add even more crunchiness (my old harmony tutor used to say that we
weren't learning harmony, but to manage dischord) and confuse the
listener even more about whether you're using IV or ii, add in the 7th
of ii - in the same key, this is an E that also be the 5th of a IV. So
now, we've got F#m7, B7, E.

> At the risk of offending those amongst us who find 12-tone systems
> childish,
> here's some tricks from the school of hard knocks:
>
> To find the scale that goes with a 7th chord:
> (you're gonna love this, mr. math-major)
> 1. Find a piano, or draw one if you have to.
> 2. Play the 7th chord with your left hand.
> 3. Play the same chord type up a whole step with the right hand.
> i.e.:
> C7 = C E G Bb
> put a D7 on top:
> D7 = D F# A C
>
> put em both together:
> C D E F# G A Bb C
> wadda ya know, G melodic minor from C to C.
> (hypermixolydian, if you will)

 From waaay back in my swing days:
"You can play Jazz, it's a snip
Take a corny melody and then ya let it rip
Improvisation
Forget the notation
If that's not clear then lend an ear here and I'll explain

You can play Bop and never stop
Take a flattened fifth, put a nineth on top
Yodelehohoh
That's what you must know
Take it right back to the top of the track and take a solo

On the 8th day, God made a beat
The beat made jazz, made life complete
That's what I'm sayin'
That's what we're playin'"