[thechat] Guitar Pron - Take 1

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri Apr 23 12:35:58 CDT 2004

Hi Gang,

I took a little time out for a mini-photo shoot last night.

I wasn't very happy with any of the 'full frontals' I shot last night.
... Which only gives me an excuse to try again another time, right?

;-)

([Ron armed with camera] "Honey, can you help me? I need to practice
shooting some full frontals. They're not coming out quite right."
....................................................... WHACK!)

Also, the "in case" shots didn't work very well - I didn't have the
right lighting to pull those off - it's a 'fitted' case lined with
about 2.5 inches of very very dark ('royal'?) purple crushed velvet
that you forcibly press the guitar into. Combine that with the highly
reflective spruce guitar top and you have some fun technical lighting
issues!

On the plus side, I did manage to grab a few 'pieces parts' pix that
aren't too bad:

Here's one of the inlays high on the neck - 15th fret. (There are
several different designs used for inlays at various positions on
her neck.) <142k>:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Breedlove/Inlay.jpg

A shot of the fretboard and top binding.
(I believe the dark wood is Koa.) <201k>:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Breedlove/Binding.jpg

And a shot of her lovely backside (where I should have cropped another
1/4 inch off the top) <114k>:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Breedlove/Pick.jpg

Okay. Now, I'm not particularly pleased with this last shot ... the
color registration is totally wrong ... (which is why I included the
"backside" shot above - at least the color is more 'true' there -
she's definately blonde and not auburn) ... the 'hotspot' and top edge
issues are annoying ... the 'depth of field' I used is insufficient
for the shot - so I {even more obviously} lose focus in at least 3 of
the 4 corners (Okay - so I *may* have also tippled a few before the
shoot as well.) ... and, naturally, the composition itself is fairly
uninteresting.

So why even bother sharing?  You'll see.  It's a 'challenging' shot
to take. It's also, as poor as it is, the best example illustrating
this that I've seen so far.

Background ... I noticed something last week that I didn't notice when
I bought my guitar.  (And I was 'jack jawing' with Joel about the
difficulty of photographing it the other day so I just had to give it
a whirl!) I've read a couple of notes from guitar folks saying things
like "Dude! You won't believe the amazing '3D' finish on this thing!"
or "This picture really doesn't do justice to the spactacular '3D'
finish on this guitar!"

I figured it was a bunch of balogna.

[Guitar players ... (how to put this) ... don't *always* live the
'healthiest' of lifestyles ... so I just kind of assumed their
perception was ... uh ... 'botanically enhanced'.]

Anyway, last week I finally noticed that my guitar has one of these
'amazing 3D' finishes!

{And it took you a month to notice that because?
... Who? ... Me? ...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.}

Here it is, then ... if you look at this next picture in poor light
... with one eye crossed ... the other tied behind your back ... your
monitor turned off ... squint... and move your head back and forth
like an angry 'Retha Franklin ... then the wood almost looks "wrinkled"
... or "pleated" ... kind of like the sort of fabric folds you see in
Austrian lace curtains <236k>:
http://www.fangsnclaws.com/Breedlove/3D_Back.jpg

All for now!

RonL.
(Who'll be 'guest appearing' in Chicago for a few days next week at the
Hyperion [Essbase / Brio] software users conference. Beervolt for Tuesday
anyone?)