[thechat] Re: Gasoline/Petrol prices

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Apr 30 12:22:58 CDT 2004

Luther, Ron wrote:
> (1) It's FUN! ... there are few things in an otherwise unoccupied vehicle
> that will put a bigger smile on your face than horsing an overpowered
> sports car down a twisty little maze of passages [2] at socially unacceptable
> rates of velocity. (With allowances granted primarily to Mr. Chapman ...
> that often requires more than four cylinders.)

I'll certainly admit to the fun part. But I must say, having just gotten
back from putting on a Rally, I can tell you that you don't need more
than 4 cylinders to go at socially unacceptable rates of velocity.
Witness the Subaru WRX STi. Four cylinder car that has 300 HP and 300
ft/lb of torque with a 2.5L engine. Still gets 24 mpg. Or you can get
the WRX  Sport Wagon which has more cargo room, a 2.0L engine and still
produces 227 HP while getting 27 mpg. In either case, lots of get up and
go with only 4 cylinders :)

> (3) Safety.  (Yes I realize this is a double-edged sword ... high
> horsepower vehicles [actually high torque vehicles] don't mix well with
> ice and snow.  Which is one of several reasons for storing that old
> Vette for the winter.  That's not something you want to drive in the
> snow with! Yuck!)

Once again, AWD Subaru's. I'd take a Subaru in the snow over a truck any
day. Better weight distribution and better handling. Put on the right
tires and an Outback will plunge through most snow/ice conditions.

I'll leave off with my Subaru advocacy for now :)

Judah
(whose Subaru died a fitful death at the Rally this weekend. Hopefully
to be resurrected as an art car in the future.)