[thechat] surfacing

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed May 26 08:30:31 CDT 2004

At 14:17 26/05/2004, Joel D Canfield wrote:

>Yeah, exactly. Oddly enough, my only Nepali friend is in real life, at
>work. She speaks English with a Scottish accent, since that's where she
>learned it. I'm thinking I could travel anywhere in the world and find
>*someone* I'm acquainted with.

   Between livejournal and the SCA and a few other
things-wot-I-got-to-by-the-net, I'm concluding the same thing. About the
only large area I've no contacts in is China, and I think I can find a few
first-degree contacts there. I've adjusted to this, but it's tough to
explain to people back home in rural Ireland that "a guy I know who opened
a restaurant" is in India, and "a friend of mine who's moving house" is in
Atlanta. A good few of the neighbours there have never been to Dublin -
never been more than about forty miles from their homes.

   Drew.