[thechat] This crazy world

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 06:00:50 CDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, William Anderson wrote:

> Martin Burns wrote:
> > On 31 May 2004, at 22:55, deacon wrote:
> >> Dick Francis novels suggest that there's gambling over there on horse
> >> races. If you place a bet on the winning horse, the track can simply
> >> laugh at you and refuse to pay?
> >
> > Yes it can, however...
> >
> >> I'd think that would lead to a rise of arson and personal injury crime.
> >
> > And more importantly for the bookies, loss of future business through
> > loss of reputation.
> >
> > It almost never happens.
>
> iow, Dick Francis novels are not travel guides, and should definitely not be
> treated as such :>
>
> Oh, and Martin, you know this how? :)

I know the non-enforceability through having studied a bit of contract
law. That it almost never happens I inferred through lack of scandal in
the national gutter press, and that I've never heard of it happening
through any level of social network (no-one I know has ever heard of it
happening).

Cheers
Martin