[thechat] This crazy world

John Handelaar john at videoisland.com
Tue Jun 1 06:54:26 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 12:00, Martin wrote:
> I know the non-enforceability through having studied a
> bit of contract law. That it almost never happens I
> inferred through lack of scandal in the national gutter
> press, and that I've never heard of it happening through
> any level of social network (no-one I know has ever heard
> of it happening).

That it's *almost* never is right, since I distinctly recall
large-scale coverage when Ladbrokes declined to pay out
over £1m to a punter who'd landed a 9-way accumulator about
8 years ago.

Punter was SOL because the law says it's not a binding
contract.  Eventually the bookies caved because of the
adverse publicity

jh