[thechat] The draft

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Wed Jun 2 16:41:15 CDT 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 4:01 PM, Norman wrote:

> Hi Bob
>
> There is an identical bill, HR163 which was introduced by a Republican
> and has 14 co-sponsors.

Wild.

> National service would be a good opportunity for some serious
> pork-barrelling, which appears to be the main function of governments
> at
> the moment (not just US I must say, see the UK governments PFI
> projects).

That was my first thought after I sent off my last reply. I thought to
myself, "I wonder how many military bases Hollins is looking at in
South Carolina that are slated to be closed".
Besides the bases, there's the impact that it'll have on unemployment,
and all the social services these folks can provide on the government
dime.

Not that we can afford it. Typical though - the old guys make decisions
that I'll have to pay for or fix later.

bob