[thechat] surfacing

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 02:21:41 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 07:18:35PM +0100, Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:

> Not so cool are the 'merican tourists running around England shrieking
> "Harry! Harry! Look, IT'S SO OLD!" at everything. Arrrgh.

Oooo, history and comedy. My favourite!

"Yes, and I grew up in Europe, where the history comes from. Oh, yeah. You
tear your history down, man! “30 years old, let's smash it to the floor
and put a car park here!" I have seen it in stories. I saw  something in a
program on something in Miami, and they were saying, "We've redecorated
this building to how it looked over 50 years ago!" And people were going,
"No, surely not, no. No one was alive then!

"Well, we got tons of history lying about the place, big old castles, and
they just get in the way. We're driving-- "Oh, a fucking castle! Have to
drive around it..." Disney came over and built Euro Disney, and they built
the Disney castle there, and it was, "You better make it a bit bigger,
they've actually got them here... And they're not made of plastic!" We got
tons of them, ‘cause you think we all live in castles, and we do all
live in castles! We all got a castle each. We're up to here with fucking
castles! We just long for a bungalow or something."

Eddie Izzard - Dressed To Kill
http://www.auntiemomo.com/cakeordeath/d2ktranscription.html#history