[thechat] Linux partition help

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Jun 8 01:06:01 CDT 2004

Hey folk,

Any linuxoids out there able to give me a quick pointer or two on moving
the /home directory on a Red Hat 8 box to a separate drive? My disk's
filling up rapidly, and I've got a spare 4GB HDD lying around which would
do nicely.

/home is a separate partition, so ideally I'd like to just move the data
onto the new disk and then change /home from being /dev/hda3 to being
/dev/hdb1 (or whatever).

Then, if I can merge /dev/hda3 with /dev/hda2 (/usr), that would be
wonderful.

I know my way around Linux a little, just not to the extent of screwing
with filesystems...

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul