beatles' sheet music (was RE: [thechat] Nitrogen Tires?)

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 11:05:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Drew Shiel wrote:

> At 22:38 14/06/2004, Luther, Ron wrote:
> >Sure kin! I use the double red Fender Lace 'fakey double coil' pickup
> >... unsplit ... and run it through the Pandora unit set to emulate a
> >vintage Vox AC30 amp ... dial in a touch of 'verb ... and ta-da ...
> >you've got a very nice 'Beatle-y' tone!
>
>    All this guitar stuff reminds me - there used to be songs in insrtument
> shops, beside the guitars,  that said "No Stairway To Heaven".

When I worked in a music shop while at school, you played Stairway under
pain of death, simply because *every* bugger thinks they can play it, and
almost no-one can. You go into BOfH mode from hearing it destroyed so
often. And that would be the case for whatever Tha Kidz(tm) are torturing
in music shops, so the exact banned list would evolve.

Actually, we had a fine system for all kinds of overplayed guff on demo
instruments, on a sliding scale: You play Marillion's Lavender on piano,
and you pay 50p. Play pretty much anything The Police recorded on guitar
and you're down a pound.

But we were fair - if you told us a joke and we laughed, you got money out
of the fine box. However, it was a point of principle *never* to laugh,
just to respond deadpan "That's very good, sir, very droll." I can only
recall ever paying out once, to the joke: "What do you call someone who
hangs around with musicians? A drummer"

Cheers
Martin