[thechat] I'm a happy bloke

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Jun 15 17:46:03 CDT 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote:

>> [mailto:thechat-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Bob Davis
>> Congratulations!
>>
>> Getting married is great fun.
>>

> There speaks a groom :)
>
> OK, that's probably horribly sexist, but I have to say that I'm not
> finding the "getting married" part to be great fun, although I have
> high
> hopes for the day itself.
>
> Interestingly, once you join the cadre of engaged chicks, you discover
> surprising number of us actually don't have a whole lot of fun being
> sucked through the blades of the Wedding Industrial Complex fan. That,
> at least, is reassuring!

Ahhhh.... you see, you are making one of the most common errors. You
have mistaken having a wedding for getting married.

"Having a Wedding" usually sucks on ice.
It's expensive, you never get it all right, there will always be an
issue, someone won't be happy, and you're going to have to compromise.

"Getting Married" is all smiles and happiness. The wedding is just
something that happens around the getting married part.

So to recap in terms I am sure we can all understand -

Married == r0x0r3z!!
Wedding == sux0r3z!!

dig?

(we, by the way, had a pretty cool wedding - highly non traditional.
Breakfast tacos and tequila sunrises for the reception. It was good!
Funky 'cat in the hat' style wedding cake that was all blue, yellow,
green and pink - very fun and tasted wonderful)

bob