[thechat] driving and smoking

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Jun 16 08:41:33 CDT 2004

Joel D Canfield noted:

>>If I had, say, a cheeseburger in my hand, it darn well wouldn't be
>>somewhere I wasn't getting the full effect.

Hi Joel,

I'm not contributing anything worthwhile here ... just picking on your
example ... 'sides ... it gives me a chance to recant a story about one
of my ex-wives being pulled over by the police ... for driving while
holding food out the window!  ;-)

True story! ... She was driving along ... and the cop pulled up behind
and flashed the lights. After pulling her over, the cop walked up and
noted that he had been driving behind her for a while and noticed that
she had been holding french fries out the window ... and he was
wondering why she was doing that. (Nosy cops ... ya gotta love it!)

Anyway, it turns out that she had just run through the drive-thru at
Mickey D's and gotten one of *those* batches of french fries ... you
know, the ones fresh out of the grease that burn your fingers ... and
she trying to 'cool them' before handing them to her hungry 2 year
old daughter in the car seat in the back.

Apparently a slow day on the North coast ... No citations were issued.

RonL.
(The 'technical' answer, of course, is so that the rushing wind from the
vehicle motion knocks the dead ashes off the end of the cigarette so they
don't end up in your lap. ... I don't remember what it was called ... but
in the oooooold days cars used to have this 'tray-like' device in the dash
where smokers could deposit their spent cigarette ashes. Unfortunately,
in all the newer vehicles I have seen, these seem to have have been
replaced by new fangled multi-function spare change / cell phone holders.)

To quote Edith Ann: "And that's the truth! Thpppppp!"