[thechat] Netflix?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Jun 22 11:29:45 CDT 2004

Luther, Ron <ron.luther at hp.com> wrote:
> Anybody using this service?
>
> http://www.netflix.com/Default
>
> It's kind of a 'different' kind of dvd rental model ... flat rate ...
> $22 a month ... they pay shipping both ways ... you get to hang onto
> 3 movies at a time.

yup.  we've been using netflix for over a year now, and are very happy with
them.  my wife and daughter keep the request queue full at all times so, al
long as we mail them back quickly after watching them we churn out usually 6
or 7 movies a week :-)

i guess it's not really worth it for those who rent fewer than say, 7 or 8
movies a month but for us it's been quite nice!

once in a great while (maybe two or three times a year) we get a DVD that is
scratched or something and won't play, and once we got the wrong movie in
the right sleeve, but no bad problems.

i also seem to remember that they claimed they never got one movie we sent
back, but their web-based customer service is very good, and it was all
resolved easily by email. actually it was never "resolved" but we've been
otherwise good customers so they just beloved us that we did send it back,
considered it lost in the mail, and didn't charge is for it -- i think they
had wanted to charge us like $50 for something that KMart was (by then)
selling for $20...

so, overall: good recommendation,

-dave