[thechat] musical opinion query

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Jul 25 13:32:52 CDT 2004

I just have to get some opinion from y'all folks who I know listen to
(and sometimes perform) interesting and amazing music.

Is this guy as good as I think he is?

http://cloudsovermojave.com/albums.asp

I mean, I have my opinion, and that is that he's the best fingerstyle
composer alive. I prefer Jim's stuff to Will Ackerman, John Fahey (okay,
he's not alive, but anyway), even most of Kottke's stuff. There's just
this unerring sense of melody in all his compositions and arrangements.

I'm just amazed that every time I go to San Diego, I can go listen to
Jim at the local coffee shop or book store, for free. Is it that he's
not as astonishing as I think, or is it just another example of 'talent
!= success' in the music biz?

joel