[thechat] ripped from the headlines - a speedy newsstoryforMadhu

Elfur Logadóttir elfur at elfur.is
Fri Aug 13 11:18:51 CDT 2004

I'm guessing I struck a nerve, since both William and Martin saw fit to lash
out ;)

.:|
.:| > .:|
.:| > .:| Here in India, [the Octavia] sold as a "luxury car".
.:| >
.:| > Luxury car ... Lol
.:| > Skoda has always been the cheep european car on the market
.:| > Sold as poor man's european
.:|
.:| errrm or was until they got taken over by the
.:| VolkswagenGroup in 1990.
.:| http://www.volkswagen-ag.de/german/docs/4b-History6.html
.:| http://www.volkswagen-ag.de/english/docs/4b-History6.html
.:| Sheesh, Elfur - where have you *been*!

In Iceland for the past 33 years, thank you.
(apart from when I travel ;)

.:| but they're built to the same quality of any VW or Audi,
.:| and VAG have standardised their platforms.
	[...]
.:| Not a *luxury* car, but a good size and quality one.

It's true, Skoda shifted from being east-european (along with Lada and
Wartburg) to being west-european ... And it raised it's status ... But here
in Iceland it's still the poorer choice ... And is not ranked as high as
other west-european brands. It is however ranked higher than Asian brands.

May I remind you - Iceland is a snob and a half ... Very high standard of
living and everything is expensive ... As if we would ever feel proud
driving a car with east-european name on it ... No matter how west-european
it has gotten recently.

Cheers
elfur