[thechat] Cars (Re: ripped from the headlines - a speedynewsstoryforMadhu)

Elfur Logadóttir elfur at elfur.is
Fri Aug 13 16:33:16 CDT 2004

.:| -----Original Message-----
.:| From: thechat-bounces at lists.evolt.org
.:| [mailto:thechat-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of
.:| William Anderson
.:| Sent: 13. ágúst 2004 21:07
.:| To: The evolt.org social mailing list
.:| Subject: [thechat] Cars (Re: ripped from the headlines - a
.:| speedynewsstoryforMadhu)
.:|
.:| Elfur Logadóttir wrote:
.:| > I'm guessing I struck a nerve, since both William and
.:| Martin saw fit to lash
.:| > out ;)
.:|
.:| Hey, I wasn't lashing at anything, just setting the record
.:| straight! :)
.:|
.:| > [snip]
.:| >
.:| > It's true, Skoda shifted from being east-european (along
.:| with Lada and
.:| > Wartburg) to being west-european ... And it raised it's
.:| status ... But here
.:|
.:| Lada?  They pulled out of the UK due to consistent
.:| reliability problems late
.:| in life (the Camara, mainly).  They still have a bad name
.:| here, despite
.:| earlier models being built like fucking tanks - they had to
.:| be to survive
.:| Russian winters.  My dad had one of these -
.:| http://www.vaz.ru/v2107.htm -
.:| and two more before it.  Lada started off by using licensed
.:| Fiat designs
.:| from the 60s to 80s - think Fiats 124, 125, 131 - also FSO
.:| Fiats too - hence
.:| the similarities of those types.
.:|
.:| There's talk of them re-entering the UK market, but I doubt
.:| it'll happen
.:| soon - meanwhile, they're still quite active at home, cf
.:| http://www.vaz.ru/
.:|
.:| fwiw, the Niva kicked ass - and still does;
.:| http://www.vaz.ru/v2131.htm
.:|
.:| > in Iceland it's still the poorer choice ... And is not
.:| ranked as high as
.:| > other west-european brands. It is however ranked higher
.:| than Asian brands.
.:|
.:| Shame - some Nipponese cars rock.  Oh for a Nissan Skyline
.:| 2002 R34 GT-R ...
.:|
.:| > May I remind you - Iceland is a snob and a half ... Very
.:| high standard of
.:| > living and everything is expensive ... As if we would
.:| ever feel proud
.:| > driving a car with east-european name on it ... No matter
.:| how west-european
.:| > it has gotten recently.
.:|
.:| That's a pretty shocking attitude.  You'll find that
.:| several so-called
.:| Eastern European countries (which still conjures images of
.:| the Soviet Bloc)
.:| manufacture cars and other goods for "the West" -
.:| Volkswagen, GM (Opel) are
.:| prime examples.  You might even find parts of your Omega
.:| were produced in
.:| Opel's Hungary facilities!
.:|
.:| --
.:| _ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong
.:| with this one
.:| \`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him
.:| =(_ _)= http://neuro.me.uk/   |  -- Mallrats, (1995)
.:|     U  - Thhbt! GPG 0xFA5F1100 |
.:|
.:|
.:| ___________________________________
.:| thechat - the one with the fatass .sig
.:|
.:| REMINDER:
.:| Evolt.org conference.  Like this but in person and with BEER.
.:| 17-19 September 2004 in Toronto, Canada.
.:| Details at http://TOevolt.org
.:|
.:| thechat at lists.evolt.org
.:| http://lists.evolt.org/thechatarchive/
.:| ____
.:|
.:| See also #evolt on irc.evolt.org and http://spool.evolt.org.uk/
.:| ____
.:|
.:| Please support the community that supports you. Give your bit to
.:| evolt.org at: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
.:|