[thechat] Traffic Light Cameras

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Aug 16 06:49:54 CDT 2004

chris at martiantechnologies.com wrote:
> Dear all
>
> A FOAF did something rather foolish this morning. In his enthusiasm to get out of the congestion charging zone in London before 7am, he cut a red light. In order to do this he accelerated to about 40mph in a 30mph limit. As he passed the light, he's pretty sure he caught a double flash in his wing mirror. He's not aware of a yellow-backed speed camera in that position, only a grey traffic-light camera.
>
> He is contrite and ready to accept punishment, but does anyone have any idea what this punishment may be? How many points? Fine? Will the speeding compound the ignoring of the red light?

I got caught by uniformed officers (twice!) running red lights in Glasgow.
The first time I was stopped, admonished at the road side by the officer,
and given a 3 point, £40 penalty.  The second time (didn't I learn?) i was
visibly shaken by a police van coming right up behind me with siren blaring,
and they let me off with an informal caution.

Then again, you could just ask the DVLA for the actual (and current) action
... http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/endorsem.htm - TS10 "Failing to comply
with traffic light signals" - 3 penalty points, in addition to a fixed
penalty / fine.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him