[thechat] Traffic Light Cameras

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Aug 16 07:42:22 CDT 2004

Martin Burns wrote:
> [snip]
>
> (guide for non-UKfies, if you're found guilty of a Road Traffic
> Offense, your license gets endorsed with points. Get over the magic 12
> points, and it's bye-bye license. Oh, and there's fines too, and some
> offenses (eg speeding) have discretionary disqualification or even
> prison. Nice.)

I nearly had 12 points within days of getting my first car, a month after
passing my driving test (in the days when passing a UK driving test meant
actually driving a car, as opposed to all the random theory stuff that's
appeared in recent years).  We bought a car from a work colleague of my
dad's, and it was brought round while my dad was at work, and i was off from
college.  I decided to go for a wee spin in my new pride and joy (an X-plate
Talbot Samba, if you must know!) and went for a polite tool around the part
of Cumbernauld I stayed in at the time.  Got back home, thoroughly stoked,
and all buzzed up and wanting to drive more :)

However, my dad got home from work, and asked what i thought of the car.
"Goes great, but I think the brakes need some work."   He looked at me agape
and said "if you'd been stopped by the police, you'd have had your licence
taken away on the spot".  He'd checked the car out on his way over the road
from his garage where he'd parked his own car, and noted every tyre on the
thing was badly balding - a road offence and punishable by a three point
fixed penalty *per tyre*.  I decided to wait until we'd organised
replacement tyres before thinking about even sitting in the car :)

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him