[thechat] Traffic Light Cameras

Lauri Väin lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Mon Aug 16 13:04:48 CDT 2004

Hi,

> A FOAF did something rather foolish this morning. In his
> enthusiasm to get out of the congestion charging zone in

Congestion charging zone? Is this a zone in the city which has too many
cars and where you have to pay extra when you want to cross it? Sorry,
never been to the UK - not much of a clue, how it works there. Seems to
suck big time, though :)

> London before 7am, he cut a red light. In order to do this he
> accelerated to about 40mph in a 30mph limit. As he passed the
> light, he's pretty sure he caught a double flash in his wing
> mirror. He's not aware of a yellow-backed speed camera in
> that position, only a grey traffic-light camera.

Oh, I can already visualize, how Jeremy Clarkson would love to bash the
cameras with such an example :) Especially since the government wants to
start charging a LOT of more money for using roads at peak times (school
dropping off time, work starting time, coming home from work time,
Britney Spears concerts etc). That's the plan the government seems to
have in the new Transportation Plan or something (was on Top Gear just a
couple of weeks ago, I think). Would hate it when something like that
would start happening here. On other hand the roads are in really crappy
conditions, so it's awful to drive here anyway.

Cheers,
Lauri