accent or mispronounciation? (was RE: [thechat] Chile's tennis fighting for the medals)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Aug 22 13:47:04 CDT 2004

At 23:39 22/08/2004, deacon wrote:
>Perhaps because that's how you pronounce it in English, according to
>The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, the American Heritage
>Dictionary of the English Language, and Bartlesby.com
>
>I don't think I've EVER heard someone utter "chee-lay pepper" whether
>referring to the food or the magazine. Whether it gets spelled chili
>pepper or chile pepper, it's "chilly pepper" out loud.

<voice type="Apu">

Please not to be confusing "chilli pepper" with the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilli_pepper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile

</voice>

<quote>

The fruit has many names. Hot varieties are called chiles (also chilis,
chillies, chile peppers and hot peppers) from Nahuatl chilli (there is no
etymological relation to Chile, the country, which is named after the
Quechua chin "cold", tchili "snow", or chilli "where the land ends").

</quote>

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Shiok Far-eastern Cuisine