[thechat] Weird-ass FTP problem

Lachlan Cannon lach at illuminosity.net
Sat Aug 28 21:21:59 CDT 2004

s t e f wrote:
> Sheesh, and me who tried to show off, name-dropping etc.

Don't worry. It's just my mission in life to know something about
everything. ;) There's nothing quite so fun as being a smartarse in a
lecture, and knowing all about, say bmi, when the teacher starts asking
about it in a project management lecture.

> OK, so er... There's still the voodoo hypothesis, eh?

Anybody placed you under a curse lately, Madhu?

Seriously, though. Have you tried, after uploading the image to your
restaurant server, downloading it again through FTP? If nothing's
different about it, then I'd say your server is using some weird filter
to try to compress large images or something. not that I've heard of
one, but I'm sure it's possible. If that's the case, then I guess you'll
need to find a new host, if that picture is important.

Of course if you download it and it's artefact-laden after being
downloaded through FTP, then I'd say somebody's FTP client or server is
to blame. Try it with a different FTP client, and if it's still
horrible, then I guess it'd be the server.
--
Lach
http://illuminosity.net/