[thechat] american table manners -- fork in right or left..?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 30 07:29:14 CDT 2004

David Wagner noted:

>>- Never cut more than one piece of meat at a time (presumably to draw
>>out the process even further).

Rats! I guess I *is* uncultured.  ;-(

... I'll cut off a couple of bites, eat those, then cut off a few more.

(Heck ... if it's pancakes ... I'll butter them up ... cut them all up
into pieces ... and then drown them in maple syrup ... before I start
eating ... Yum!)

>>- After finishing your meal, set the knife and fork, parallel to each
>>other, across the center of the plate with the handles on the right
>>side.

Hah! Almost had me with that one David! ... unless it's one a them fancy
schmantzy places ... you gots to hang onta that fork ... for dessert!
;-)

RonL.
(Who is noticing a disturbing trend where restaurants will either give
me a smaller glass or (like last night) leave more than a &^%&^%-ing
INCH of space between the top of my hooch and the rim of the glass!
I find this most unsatisfying! They lost a sale last night. I mighta
ordered a second drink ... but I ain't gonna pay twice for one glassful!)