[thechat] cameras

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Sep 28 12:25:41 CDT 2004

On Sep 28, 2004, at 11:51 AM, Martin Burns wrote:

>> some manual controls,
>> good automatic pictures (for when I'm lazy) costing < US$400.
>>

> Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html

On paper, this camera looks like a winner - but as I read more and more
reviews of the camera, it became pretty clear that the only ones
getting acceptable shots from it were doing all of the controls
manually, and simply not taking some shots that they knew would be
questionable. The W1 has a very aggressive anti-artifacting system that
smoothes details out too far.

 From what I understand, the Canon has a very good lens that uses a new
process (here's where they reviewer went into glass geekery that I
didn't even try to understand) that is very cool.

I haven't heard anyone trash the S60 the way I've heard them go over
the W1. Some of the reviews were flat out savage. To be fair, they also
say a lot of the same stuff about the Canon S500, which should be
great, but is, apparently, a step back from the S400 which it replaces.

bob