[thechat] PS2 vs. Whatever

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 00:24:48 CDT 2004

So, someone please talk to me about game console systems?

Basically, I want one :) And we've reached that really critical junction
in our relationship where, having left all our exes with all the good
stuff, we have to now decide if it should be a PS2 or an Xbox.

The Xbox seems really spendy to me, but it does have guns/blasters for
shoot-em-up games and I didn't see any for the PS2. The PS2, on the
other hand, at least has games I've heard of and seems less
accessory-dependent. A friend complains that her other half's Xbox
doesn't have a lot to offer her -- he likes shooting games, she likes
puzzle/strategy games. I'd like the best balance of the two, really.

In choosing a PS2 or Xbox, I'm not that worried about the comparative
graphics quality because it isn't a priority. I'm more interested in
overall investment, games variety, and having a good library of two
player games.

Finally (and I know I'm going to look like an idiot now) could someone
explain to me why, if we both play PC games we want to play *on our PCs*
and basically want a console system upon which we have the option to
play stuff together, we shouldn't buy a good old fashioned Nintendo 64
and save a ton of cash? You can pick up all the classic stuff -- Super
Mario Bothers, Carmageddon, Quake -- for £5 and the console itself is
1/3rd the price.

So set me straight, please :)

--Sabrina

---