[thechat] Grape Tomatoes

deacon web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Sep 30 02:23:59 CDT 2004

On 29 Sep 2004 at 19:58, Roger Austin wrote:

>   Well, that was interesting. The stores around Raleigh have grape
> and cherry tomatoes. Neither of them from the stores are all that
> good compared to the cherry tomatoes I have grown at home.

I don't care much for cherry tomatoes have an awful lot of skin
compared to the amount of innards.

What I like are "field tomatoes" - the kind that everybody used to raise.
About the size of a baseball, and so much juice that you almost have
to strip nekkid to the waist to eat them, because they'll stain your shirt.
Mostly around here, they have the sandwich tomatoes (beefsteak
types) that don't have much juice, and the plum tomatoes like Roma
that are also meaty, and used mainly for spaghetti sauce.

The meat of a tomato seems to be almost flavorless. It's the gel/juice
that has the majority of the flavor.

Went to a chinese buffet for supper yesterday, and they had *huge*
grapes. They were a little over an inch in diameter, and almost two
inches long. Under the skin, there was solid meat about 3/8" of an inch
thick and then the core had the seeds and more of a gel. Not even
sure they *are* grapes, except that they looked from the outside like
they were big grapes. My wife loved them; I wasn't real crazy about
them, but then, I'm not an especially big fan of any kind of grapes.

deke

--
AmishHosting.Com

Lots of space.