[thechat] US prez debates

Scott Dexter dexilalolai at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 09:11:24 CDT 2004

Disclaimer: I'm not very political, so this may come across as a
little shortsighted, and I admit up front the research behind the
opinion presented below is slight and third-hand, at best. I'm just
sharing my opinion....

> public's perspective. Really, I just can't fathom why so many
> Americans
> seem to like Bush so much.

Because /he's just like them./ --Not very smart, defensive, quick to
resolve conflict with agression.

Not that it means anything, but I've always felt his imperfections
--especially when it comes to the English language-- were either
trumped up or on purpose to make him more "normal." 'Mericans like
him because he's a tangible President, someone you could run across
in Middle America and have a beer with. Unfortunately, it makes him
also appear like a country bumpkin. Guess what? We've turned into a
country of country bumpkins.

(yes, I know those are grand sweeping statements, but when you have
to pin /all/ of your beliefs on one person, what are you left with?
Wide swaths of policy and platform.)

> All the online polls were giving it to Kerry last night though, so
> maybe I'm not too far off what all you USians think.

The quick news nugget I heard this morning put Kerry at a slight win,
though a significant number (>15%) called it a draw. The next rounds
should be interesting.....

Anyhoo...

(to note, I'm not a huge fan of Kerry, either. Sigh.)