[thechat] US prez debates

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Fri Oct 1 10:39:56 CDT 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 9:11 AM, Scott Dexter wrote:

> Disclaimer: I'm not very political, so this may come across as a
> little shortsighted, and I admit up front the research behind the
> opinion presented below is slight and third-hand, at best. I'm just
> sharing my opinion....
>
>> public's perspective. Really, I just can't fathom why so many
>> Americans
>> seem to like Bush so much.
>
> Because /he's just like them./ --Not very smart, defensive, quick to
> resolve conflict with agression.

What's very interesting is that his debates with Gov. Anne Richards (to
become Gov. of Texas - played on NPR the other night.) showed a
completely different guy. Sharp, eloquent, smart. I don't know if he's
taken the "I'm a normal guy" page out of Reagan's book or what, but I'm
beginning to think that some of the public face we see is calculated.

Even the NPR guy was freaked out a little by the difference. It was ten
years ago - and he sounded like a different man.

bob