[thechat] DVD Recorders?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Oct 2 06:24:47 CDT 2004

Luther, Ron wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I see that Wal*Mart has a $150 stand-alone DVD Recorder unit.
>
> Sounds like it will back up VHS to DVD or let you record off TV
> or cable.
>
> Will it let you record the output from your DVD player?

Ugh.  Why would you want to?  You'll sacrifice both picture and sound
quality.  If you're wanting to make copies of DVDs (legal ones of ones
you've bought of course!), then you're better off with a $60 DVD-RW drive
and some freely available software, such as DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him