[thechat] Bill Shatner's voice

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Oct 5 00:51:04 CDT 2004

Madhu Menon wrote:
> I know there are plenty of nerd Trekkies on this list (Hi William!), so
> let me ask you this:

Bah.

> If you've seen ST:TOS (and I know you have), you might notice that
> there's a BIG difference between the voice of William Shatner (Capt.
> Kirk) in the 1960s and his current voice (or even in the ST movies.)
>
> In the 60s, he sounds like he was on helium. Now, he's got that deep
> voice going.
>
> So what changed? Did he get surgery? Was sound technology bad in the
> 60s? Did he just take vocal lessons?

Dude, he's *old*!  Shatner was in his mid-30s when he did the Trek show, now
he's in his 70s - did you expect his voice to remain the same through 40-odd
years?  Hell, look at what happened to Julie Andrews :(

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him