[thechat] Bailing out...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 09:03:05 CDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004, at 14:24, Joel D Canfield wrote:

> Looking for instrumental music to listen to at work? There's plenty
> available for every mood.
>
> When I'm in spastic coding mode, really on a tear, the Hellecasters are
> the bomb. Or, I'll pull out a compilation disc of Traffic's long
> rambling instrumentals. Chris Wood *owned* the electric sax.

Dude, I'll raise your hippy rambling - I have some Incredible String
Band.

See the footer of this email for my recommendation

I also concentrate well to Cuban instrumentals - Compay Segundo, Beny
Moré etc.

> Pensive, contemplative, pondering the Big Picture? If you can get it,
> Shirley Kaiser's "Journey Within" is wonderful; otherwise, Chopin or
> John Fields.

Moby: Porcelain (actually, pretty much all of the soundtrack album to
the Beach rocks), or any of the 'Ibiza at sunset'/'Ibiza Chill' type
compilations. Stuff like
Groove Armada: Dirty Listening
The Orb: Little Fluffy Clouds
Bent: Private Road
Leftfield: Release the Pressure (actually, that's more in the 'spastic
coding mode' list)

I also have a Guinness promo CD with 4 tracks by Ver Vladz (who he?)
which has a wee bit of speech in it, but is mostly instrumental.

Songs in a language you don't understand are *very* useful for this. In
particular: The Cocteau Twins, Clannad (assuming you don't know yer
Erse from yer elbow), Palestrina/Thomas Tallis

> Looking for more ambient sounds? Tangerine Dream. IBox, discs 1 and 3
> (or for something a bit, for lack of a better word, perkier, discs 2
> and
> 4.)

Brian Eno/Harold Budd: the Pearl.
Moby also has an album or two of ambient music

Cheers
Martin

- --
Now playing on iTunes: "After Pizza" by Sam Paglia from 'Café Noir -
Cocktail and Lounge #1'