[thechat] Bailing out...

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 03:24:59 CDT 2004

>Songs in a language you don't understand are *very* useful for this.

The Ozric Tentacles get my vote for songs in languages you don't
understand.  Mainly instrumental (space/prog) rock.  One of the many
artists that get stuck on loop when I'm stuck deep in code. And if you
like that sort of stuff, then a more vocal version of them is the
Porcupine Tree (lots more vocals though, depends which tracks you're
listening to).  Along with stalwarts such as Hawkwind, Gong, Magic
Mushroom Band, Nik Turner et al.

Another great band, that share three letters of their name with The Orb,
is Orbital.  Their latest, and last, album, the blue one is excellent.
Also I quite like The Orb's latest album.  I'm a bit stuck in a rut when
it comes to electronica of that ilk, hence recommendations such as
Biosphere, A Positive Life, Higher Intelligence Agency, Banco De Gaia.
And for more recent stuff, any mix album by Dave Seaman, and pretty much
any album in the Back To Mine range.

And of course we all have guilty secrets.  I stay young by listening to
http://www.di.fm/mp3/hardcore96k.pls....... a lot (Hardcore being the
one genre of dance music that is not undergoing a huge slump in the UK
at the moment).  And when I'm feeling particularly sad I've got a couple
of Iron Maiden live albums that get fairly heavy rotation too.

Norman (who finds typing and thinking about music so much nicer then
writing code)