[thechat] Differing attitudes among Bush/Kerry supporters

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 17:31:24 CDT 2004

Hi all

I put this on http://spool.evolt.org.uk, but thought it was worthy of wider dissemination.

There's been some research done into attitudes of supporters of Kerry & Bush:
http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Report10_21_04.pdf

Among the highlights:
"A large majority of Bush supporters believe that before the war Iraq had weapons of
mass destruction or a major program for building them.

A substantial majority of Bush supporters assume that most experts believe Iraq had WMD
and that this was the conclusion of the recently released report by Charles Duelfer.

A large majority of Bush supporters believes that Iraq was providing substantial support
to al Qaeda and that clear evidence."

Or, to put it another way: A Large Majority of Bush supporters are ostriches. Or can't
read. Whichever.

Actually, the analysis pinpoints it quite well: Even Bush supporters realise that if
there were no WMD, then the war was wrong. But they have a gut response to support the
war, therefore to avoid cognative dissonance, convince themselves that WMD must have
existed. The White house telling them that it's so didn't do any harm to this
self-deception

(via http://slashdot.org)

Cheers
Martin
(from a dark and rainy Switzerland)
--
"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk <- to train