[thechat] Omigod the hatred...

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Sun Jan 9 21:46:25 CST 2005

Martin Burns wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2005, at 16:22, javier velasco wrote:
>> Having just completed a course on "Cyberlaw" that focuses precisely in
>> these kind of topics, I can further clarify that the notion of "fair
>> use" is not particular to the US, but internationally accepted within
>> the Berne convention framework.
>

> However, it hasn't been adopted into all signatory countries' national
> law, and where it has, it hasn't always been under the same definitions
> nor purposes.
>
> And even if it were so, my point would still be valid as the comment
> pointed to US-specific law, not international convention - "It's so
> because US law says" rather than "because international law says"

Admittedly, I am from the U.S., but I'd rather a documented post about
I.P. law that is country specific than an undocumented rant about the
how things are just generally unfair. If you are outside the U.S. you
presumably know that the laws in the U.S. do not necessarily apply where
you are. However, the content of the law, the reasoning behind it, etc.,
can provide a good insight into what sort of situation your government
might have and what angles to look for within your countries law. And
especially within the realm of intellectual property, U.S. law is
increasingly being adopted in world-wide contexts (for the record, I
happen to think this is a bad idea, but it is still true).

So speak what you know, document what you can, make your biases plain
and let others decide. Besides, our gloabl hegemony will soon render
your opinions meaningless *evil cackle*. Of course, I'll be first
against the wall in that particular revolution, so I shall go sit by
door now and listen for the sound of jack boots.

Judah