way fridayness (was RE: [thechat] another kelsey!)

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 07:51:54 CST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:15:57 +0000, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> Amhrán na bhFiann

  "The Soliders Song". And a foul dirge it is, too.

> Seo dhaoíbh, a cháirde duan Óglaigh,
> Caithréimeach, bríomhar, ceolmhar,
> Ár dtintne cnámh go buacach táid,
> 'S an spéir go mín réaltógach;
> Is fonnmhar faobhrach sinn chun gleo,
> 'S go tiúnmhar glé roimh thíocht don lá
> Faoi chiúnas caomh na hoíche ar seal
> Seo libh canaig' Amhrán na bhFiann.

   I have to admit that I have never heard the verse before.

> Sinne laochra Fáil,

   ... and I've always known this bit as "Sinne fianna Fáil".

   "Fianna Fáil" is the name of the conservative political party here.
It means "Army of Destiny", which is a fantastic name, and completely
wasted on them. "Sinne" means "we are".

   Drew.

--
// The Wizard of Duke Street: http://dukestreet.org/
// Essays, commentary & reviews in science-fiction & fantasy