[thechat] Toyota Prius hybrids dogged by software woes

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri May 20 17:49:42 CDT 2005

On 17 May 2005, at 22:09, Madhu Menon wrote:

> http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/Autos/prius_computer/index.htm?
> section=cnn_tech
>
> "A software problem is causing some Toyota Prius gas-electric
> hybrid cars to stall or shut down while driving at highway speeds".
> Talk about critical bugs! :)

Dunno about that, but:
1) I've had a mate whose Audi A2 went into Safe Mode - he couldn't
drive above 50 Miles per Hour
2) There was this bloke and his Renault Vel Satis http://
www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/17/car_self_destructs/

which all goes to show that modern cars are increasingly software
dependent, and as we all know, things can and do go wrong.

Cheers
Martin

(who hasn't had a service advisory for his Prius)