[thechat] Pet Hate

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue May 24 05:44:24 CDT 2005

Ian Anderson wrote:
> Hi from rainy England,
>
> I was reflecting this morning about a pet hate of mine, which is this:
>
> Someone calls to visit. You naturally offer them a cup of tea. The
> danger is that instead of a straight Yes or No, they may say:
>
> "If you're having one..."

> I am 38 years old - is this a factor? Can anyone suggest a more graceful
> way of handling this social dilemma?

well, they don't actually mean they'll only have one if you do, so just
make them a cup anyway, without making yourself one.

If they're polite enough to only accept a cup if it's not too much
trouble (the "if you're having one")  then they won't be as impolite to
ask why you're not having a cup...

now my pet hate is when I'm asked if I'd like a carrier bag and I find
my self saying "yes, if you have one...."

(of course they have a carrier bag, otherwise they wouldn't be asking!)

;o)