[thechat] Pet Hate

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Fri May 27 08:45:52 CDT 2005

Sean German noted:

>>The answer is, you have to take someone at their word.

Hi Sean!

Perhaps I'm missing a bit of your intent there but I may have to
disagree with the above.  'Context', (intonation, phrasing, body
language, facial expression, etc.) is at least as important a
component of communication as the actual words themselves.

A single phrase can have many meanings - dependant upon delivery,
timing, location, speaker, situation, ...

So if by "their word" you are taking into consideration all of those
factors, then I agree with you.   [1]

>>My general point is courtesy should be acknowledged with courtesy.

My specific point is that there are times and situations when 'courteous

words' can be spoken not only with discourteous intent, but with actual
aggression!

Courteously, (?!)      ;-)

RonL.

[1] 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful
tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor
less.'