[thechat] Tips on hosting a cocktail party

Roger Austin raustin3 at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 18 08:20:55 CST 2005

Madhu Menon wrote:
> I'm hosting a cocktail party at my house for some good friends
this weekend. About 10-12 people are expected to attend. I'm
generally a private person and this is the first party I've
thrown, so I look to you folks for tips that you'd like to share.
I plan to have pitchers of perhaps 4-5 cocktails, with some
sangria on the side. My goal is to make myself as free as
possible to chat and have fun with my friends instead of being
stuck playing host. I'm going to serve only snacks, not dinner.

Mahdu, if your carpets or furnishings are white, look to non
colored snacks and cocktails. Stuff will be spilled unless your
friends are very straightlaced (of course, that wouldn't be much
of a party, would it?) You don't want to spend time cleaning up
during the party either.
  Also, snacks like little quiches and spinach filled filo snacks
are good for for parties. We avoid heavy chocholate or sticky
sauces during parties due to the rugs. I try to have a mixture
of sweet and savory munchies. I'm sure, as a chef, you are much
more creative with food than I. Be sure to have some fresh coffee
made for those who might over imbibe. Tea is also a nice idea.
Some people don't drink alcoholic drinks so it is nice to have
a jug of non alcoholic stuff.
  If your friends will be bringing children, you might want an
area for them with a few toys or videos. We set up a changing
area in our bedroom for the microkids and make sure that the
mothers know when they arrive. Changing a baby in the middle of
the floor during a party sometimes spoils the mood.

  I am a beer and wine drinker so I don't know much about cocktails,
but I will offer a little observation. White wine coolers made
from fruit juices and ginger ale are a hit with some people,
especially some women who don't like heavier cocktails. Those
types of drinks don't stain. Screwdrivers with some extra
flavorings can be nice too.
  One very popular drink is a chocholate martini. Combine in equal
parts Godiva Chocolate Liquor, Vodka, and half-n-half (a milk and
cream mixture). Feed this to your favorite female friend and let
us know if she gets especially friendly.

  Have a great party. Roger

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.