[thechat] pease porridge hot

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Nov 29 10:01:09 CST 2005

> 2. playing cheesy quasi-oldies rock in a band that's
> constantly in demand

Well, I'm new enough that playing an evening of Van Morrison, Beatles,
and CCR is loads of fun. Part of my problem has been that all the
musicians I run into flatly refuse to ever play 'Brown Eyed Girl' or
'Jailhouse Rock' because they're sick of it. Guess what - the folks in
the audience aren't, as you noted.

> So if you're looking for a challenge to keep you interested while you
> look for another band, an upright might be fun to play around with.

Oh, like I needed an excuse to buy one ;) Seriously, it's an excellent
idea. I know a gent who wants to trade upright lessons for web work. He
switched from electric to an upright about 10 years ago when he got a
master's in something to do with teaching music. He'd be focusing on
helping me learn the differences between the two, not on the basics I
already know.

Anything that'd make me play better is a good thing. Practice; yeah, I
remember that . . .

> I did some recording with an original band I'm in a few months ago --
> we've got some mp3s available, if anyone wants to check them
> out (ignore
> the not-so-subtle hints on the site about sending money -- we
> wouldn't
> know what to do with it).

I grabbed 'em. Always interested in new music. Thanks!

joel