[thechat] Cadfael

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 19:07:05 CST 2005

--- Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> You'd be better off buying the books actually.

Books? There're books? I like books.

> But compare them with Name of the Rose, and you'll
> see what a *real* writer can do with
> a "Murder in the Abbey with interesting backstory
> and historical context" genre piece.

Well, "not as good as Umberto Eco" hm? Ah, Amazon
shows me that
the books were written by Ellis Peters. I read Name of
the Rose
some years ago and indeed, Umberto is a writer with a
capital W.
But just because Tolkien is great doesn't mean I can't
read the
lesser lights like Eddings, Goodkind, Jordan, etc. So
I reckon
I'll give Cadfael a try.

Terry

BTW I'm not listing Tad Williams and George R. R.
Martin as
lesser lights on purpose.