[thechat] fantasy authors (was RE: Cadfael)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 15:34:52 CST 2005

On 23 Dec 2005, at 18:21, Canfield, Joel wrote:

>> But check out some George Mackay Brown if you want
>> that feeling with better writing in the detail.
>
> indeed I will!

In fact, this is probably a good starting place:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0719554357/
as it's a set of stories deliberately intended to evoke dark nights
round the fire. Remember also that Orkney (where GMB lived & wrote
and set most of his work) is so far north, there's not a whole lot of
daylight at this time of year.

Just ask Elfur (who's even further north...)

This one was shortlisted for the Booker:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1896209122/

This one has a rather good opera based on it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0862418143/
although Amazon's "comic" description is utter cobblers.

I've a whole load of his books in the other room...

Cheers
Martin
 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website: