[thechat] Keeping flowers alive

Madhu Menon chef at shiokfood.com
Fri Jan 6 03:26:26 CST 2006

John Handelaar wrote:

>  > and one were botanically challenged, how would one keep
>  > the flowers alive and fresh as long as possible?
>
> If they're cut?
>
> Warm water, not cold, to begin with (prolly too late for that
> now), and a teaspoon or two of brown sugar in the vase.

Actually, not too late, since I'm the one sending the flowers tomorrow (a lot of them actually), and wanted to make sure they looked pretty for more than a couple of days at the recipient's house.

Thanks for the advice (all of you.) What is the science behind the sugar, if anyone knows please?

Regards,

Madhu

--

Madhu Menon