[thechat] ice cream songs

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Jan 10 09:00:40 CST 2006

Joel Canfield asked a serious question about music stuff:

>>I wanna put together a medley of songs with the 'ice cream'
progression
>>(I vi IV V)

Unfortunately, Ron took a shot at answering instead ...  ;-)

>>Searching the web hasn't helped much. Ideas?

Hi Joel!

Maybe try a less generic search?  I just ran "C A minor F G progression"

through google and came back with 'Surfer Girl', 'In My Room', and
'Don't Worry Baby' among some other interesting looking links.
(Although
I have to admit that trying some other specific changes didn't work so
well.)

Hadn't heard it called "ice cream". Is that because you are planning a
'Neapolitan 6th'?  Yummy!  ;-P

[Wikipedia (FWIW) seems to show the 'ice cream' change as 1-6-2-5-1.]

Searching "constructing musical medleys" turned up some interesting
Theory links as well. I found the following one, apparently dealing
with some kind of pipers and drummers competition kind of interesting
because it talked about the need to vary rhythms, moods, and make
tonal key changes ... very different from how I would have thought
about building a medley:
http://www.piperanddrummer.com/features/Default.asp?articleID=5177

There was also what looked like some working notes from a VH1 class
on dissecting and discussing a Garth Brooks medley and or generic
medley construction that may or may not be of immediate help ...
but sounded interesting anyway:
http://www.vh1.com/partners/vh1_music_studio/supplies/century/century-5.
html

Good Luck!  And Have Big Fun!